-XStrict: Why some binders are not made strict?

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Dec 11 22:38:39 UTC 2015

| As I said, I prefer this semantics mainly because it's easier to
| explain: all variables (and underscores) bound in a strict module refer
| to WHNF values. Do you have a similarly simple explanation for the
| semantics you're suggesting?

Here's one, which is roughly what the current implementation does (modulo bugs):

* Code compiled under -XStrict constructs no thunks.

So consider

	module M1 where data T = C Int Int
	module M2 where f n = C (n+1) (n-1)
	module M3 where g x = let C y z = f x in ...

Look at M3.  Usually we'd get a thunk for (f 4), but not with -XStrict.  But even with -XStrict in M3, y,z might be bound to thunks.

If you compile M2 with -XStrict, function f won't build thunks for (n+1), (n-1) but will evaluate them instead.

If you compile M1 with StrictData, then C is made strict, so again M2 will build no thunks even if M2 was compiled without -XStrict.

I quite like this design.  It's not clear to me that anything useful is gained by forcing y and z in M3 before evaluating the body "...".

So Roman's design makes sense, but so does the implemented design (modulo any bugs).  The trouble is that the implemented design is not well described.

Simon