Plugins: Accessing unexported bindings

Levent Erkok erkokl at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 03:32:04 UTC 2015

Thanks for the explanation, Simon. I think Eric is spot on. Looking at some
of the "ghc -v3" output, it appears GHC always runs the following passes
before any plugins are run:

   *** Simplify:
   *** CorePrep:
   *** ByteCodeGen:
   *** Desugar:

Just judging by the name, it could either be the first "Simplify" or the
"Desugar" that gets rid of the dead-code at this point, I'm not sure which.

It would help if this stage didn't remove dead-bindings. If doing so
automatically is not the best option, requiring a user given pragma like
'KeepAlive' wouldn't be too onerous either.

-Levent.