Cabal and simultaneous installations of the same package

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Apr 20 08:12:07 UTC 2015

Friends

We started this thread (below) a month ago, but it has once more run out of steam.  The last contribution was from Vishal Agrawal

I am already planning to do a GSoC project based on it with a slightly larger aim. You can find my work in progress proposal at https://gist.github.com/fugyk/37510958b52589737274. Also I have written a patch to make cabal non-destructive at https://github.com/fugyk/cabal/commit/45ec5edbaada1fd063c67d6109e69efa0e732e6a. Can you review the proposal and give me suggestions.

I don't feel qualified to drive this process, but I do think it's important to complete it.  (I might be wrong about this too... please say so if so.) Nor do I understand why it's difficult to tie up the bow; the underlying infrastructure work is done.

Duncan especially: how can we make progress?  Do you think it's important to make progress, or are other things in cabal-land more important?  My reason for thinking that it's important is that it appears to be the root cause of many people's difficulties with Haskell and Cabal.  It might not be a panacea for all ills; but it might be a cheap remedy for a significant proportion of ills.  And that would be a Good Thing.

Thanks

Simon