DocBook to AsciiDoc

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Thu Apr 16 04:12:48 UTC 2015

Hey Daniel,

Thanks! Quick notes:

  1) Yes, please file a ticket about this and refer to it in
Phabricator when you make revisions. For this issue, I'd suggest just
having one ticket, and every single commit references that one ticket.
Adding a bunch of tickets just makes it all harder.

  2) You can just add 'austin' and 'hvr' as reviewers.

  3) You'll need to do some prodding with the build system: we need
'asciidoc' to be picked up by ./configure, etc. If you need help with
this, just holler.

I like the idea of one file at a time. If we can get by with that, I
think we should.

Thanks for helping!

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Daniel Bergey <bergey at teallabs.org> wrote:
> I just read that GHC wants to convert the manual to asciidoc.  If no one
> else has yet volunteered to do this, I hearby volunteer myself.
>
> I haven't contributed to the GHC manual before, nor to GHC.  I guess
> that I will need to learn my way around Phabricator?  I expect to be
> proof-reading sections that I haven't read before, about GHC features I
> don't use.  I don't expect this to be a problem, since the goal is just
> to match the current HTML output.  I do have some experience with
> DocBook, Asciidoc, and Pandoc, which should be helpful.
>
> Is there anything I should convert that isn't in under the users_guide
> folder?[1]
>
> It looks as though the users guide gets frequent commits.[2] Does one
> `arc diff` per file, approximately, sound reasonable, to keep merge
> conflicts manageable?
>
> Anything else I should know before I begin?  Who to list as reviewers?
> A Trac ticket to link all the asciidoc commits together?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  http://git.haskell.org/ghc.git/tree/HEAD:/docs/users_guide