Increased memory usage with GHC 7.10.1

Jan Stolarek jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl
Wed Apr 1 12:26:06 UTC 2015

Forall hi,

I just uprgaded both of my machines to use GHC 7.10.1. I keep sandboxed installations of GHC and
this means I had to rebuild Agda and Idris because the binaries built with GHC 7.8.4 were stored
inside deactivated 7.8.4 sandbox. Sadly, I had problems building both Agda and Idris due to GHC
taking up all of available memory.

With Idris the problematic module was Idris.ElabTerm (~2900LOC). The interesting part of the story
is that when I do a clean build of Idris GHC consumes all of memory when compiling that module
and I have to kill the build. But when I restart the build after killing GHC the module is
compiled using a reasonable amount of memory and within reasonable time.

With Agda the problematic module is Agda.TypeChecking.Serialise (~2000LOC). The trick with killing
the build and restarting it didn't work in this case. I had to compile Agda with GHC 7.8.4 (which
works without problems though the mentioned module still requires a lot of memory) and alter my
setup so that Agda binary is not stored inside GHC sandbox.

I wonder if any of you came across similar issues with GHC 7.10.1? Do we have any performance data
that allows to compare memory usage and performance of GHC 7.10.1 with previous stable releases?

All of the above happened on 64bit Debian Wheezy with 2GB of RAM.

Janek

---
Politechnika Łódzka
Lodz University of Technology

Treść tej wiadomości zawiera informacje przeznaczone tylko dla adresata.
Jeżeli nie jesteście Państwo jej adresatem, bądź otrzymaliście ją przez pomyłkę
prosimy o powiadomienie o tym nadawcy oraz trwałe jej usunięcie.

This email contains information intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient or if you have received this message in error,
please notify the sender and delete it from your system.