How to better parallelize GHC build.

Thomas Miedema thomasmiedema at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 10:34:12 UTC 2015

Hi Karel,

could you try adding `-j8` to `SRC_HC_OPTS` for the build flavor you're
using in `mk/build.mk`, and running `gmake -j8` instead of `gmake -j64`. A
graph like the one you attached will likely look even worse, but the
walltime of your build should hopefully be improved.

The build system seems to currently rely entirely on `make` for
parallelism. It doesn't exploit ghc's own parallel `--make` at all, unless
you explictly add `-jn` to SRC_HC_OPTS, with n>1 (which also sets the
number of capabilities for the runtime system, so also adding `+RTS -Nn` is
not needed).

Case study: One of the first things the build system does is build
ghc-cabal and Cabal using the stage 0 compiler, through a single invocation
of `ghc --make`. All the later make targets depend on that step to complete
first. Because `ghc --make` is not instructed to build in parallel, using
`make -j1` or `make -j100000` doesn't make any difference (for that step).
I think your graph shows that there are many of more of such bottlenecks.

You would have to find out empirically how to best divide your number of
threads (32) between `make` and `ghc --make`. From reading this comment
<https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/9221#comment:12> by Simon in #9221
I understand it's better not to call `ghc --make -jn` with `n` higher than
the number of physical cores of your machine (8 in your case). Once you get
some better parallelism, other flags like `-A` might also have an effect on
walltime (see that ticket).

-Thomas