GHC AST Annotations

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 26 08:30:33 UTC 2014

- In terms of presentation/comments; when I first started looking at (i.e. traversing, selectively printing etc.) the AST, I was always really annoyed that every child in the tree has one extra step of indirection, due to the location annotations being "L loc thing", as opposed to a loc-field as part of the thing. I would simply call it annotation (no talk of external tool writers). In time, I hope GHC-annotations also move to that field.

Replacing the (L loc thing) story by adding a location field to every single data constructor of HsSyn would be entirely possible.  But it would mean adding a lot of extra fields.    I don’t have a strong  opinion either way, but other clients of the GHC API would be affected.

What we can’t do is have both the (L loc thing) and an extra field!

- Always called "ann"; doesn't this require OverloadedRecordFields? You're in danger of delaying your modification (scheduled to land in 7.10). Other than that, as before, from a design perspective: yes please.

Tiresomely it is indeed the case that (for now anyway) the field would need a different name in each data type.

Simon

Nice going and thanks for undertaking yet another useful AST transformation!

A few thoughts (do with them as you see fit):

- Always called "ann"; doesn't this require OverloadedRecordFields? You're in danger of delaying your modification (scheduled to land in 7.10). Other than that, as before, from a design perspective: yes please.

- In terms of presentation/comments; when I first started looking at (i.e. traversing, selectively printing etc.) the AST, I was always really annoyed that every child in the tree has one extra step of indirection, due to the location annotations being "L loc thing", as opposed to a loc-field as part of the thing. I would simply call it annotation (no talk of external tool writers). In time, I hope GHC-annotations also move to that field.

Regards,

Phili​p