Permitting trailing commas for record syntax ADT declarations

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Tue Sep 23 08:26:35 UTC 2014

Note that there's another dimension to this question: whether this
pragma is switched on by default. We already have precedents like
NondecreasingIndentation.

So, if you mean heavy-weigth to use, not to implement, then this may
address your concern.

Now, with my haskell-src-exts maintainer hat on, things like this tend
to be problematic for us, because users assume that if ghc compiles a
program without any pragmas, so should HSE, which it currently doesn't.
Perhaps we should try to replicate GHC's default behavior in terms of
the default accepted language, too.

But as a GHC user, I agree that this extension is innocent enough to be
turned on by default. Still, Haskell 98 and Haskell 2010 should remain
immutable, in my opinion.

PS I just remembered that newer Cabals ask you to specify either
Haskell98 or Haskell2010, so that might make a turned-on-by-default
extension less useful and more confusing.