Permitting trailing commas for record syntax ADT declarations

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Sep 23 07:31:58 UTC 2014

| > have a language extension TrailingCommas (or something) to enable
| > the extension
| For clarification: are you overruling the "do we sneak it in HEAD or
| use pragma(s)"-vote and telling me to do the latter?

Well, it *is* a language extension, exactly like lots of other language extensions, isn't it? (E.g. UnicodeSyntax.)  What alternative action, exactly, are you proposing?   Why do you propose to treat it differently to other language extensions?  I would be reluctant to simply add it without any indication; then GHC would accept non-Haskell 2010 programs.  And we have not done that with other extensions.

Simon