Building ghc on Windows with msys2

Gintautas Miliauskas gintautas.miliauskas at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 20:57:55 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have been messing around a little bit with building GHC from source on
Windows, and found the msys2 wikipage
<https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows/MSYS2>
quite
useful, but somewhat outdated. Quite a few steps in those instructions are
no longer necessary and can be omitted. I am working on cleaning up that
wikipage right now and should be done in a day or two.

I've found a recent email
<http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2014-September/006251.html> in
the middle of updating the wikipage about other people planning to do the
same, so I thought I'd shoot an email to make sure that work is not being
duplicated.

msys2 seems to be in good shape and should probably be promoted to the
primary suggested method to build ghc on Windows. Let's look into that once
the new build instructions have been proofread and verified.

Best regards,
--
Gintautas Miliauskas