Trying to fix an efficiency issue noted in a TODO in SAT.hs

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Sep 7 07:40:45 UTC 2014

Hi David,

Am Samstag, den 06.09.2014, 23:05 -0400 schrieb David Feuer:
> compiler/simplCore/SAT.hs has a TODO comment about the fact that it
> does a fair bit of appending onto the ends of lists, and that should
> be done differently. I made an attempt to fix it.

Great! We need people to work on GHC’s own performance.

Did you profile first, and did it show up there? You know, premature
optimization... so it might be that your fix is a nice improvement and
useful exercise (and very welcome as such), but without much real-world
effect.

Nofib can report compiler runtimes. Another way to measuring the effect
is compare the output of the perf/compiler test cases with
"make VERBOSE=4".

BTW, code review is easier on Phabricator. Maye you want to get started
using that? See https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Phabricator for
instructions.

Greeting,
Joachim