git question

Mikolaj Konarski mikolaj at well-typed.com
Fri Oct 31 14:22:32 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Daniel Trstenjak
<daniel.trstenjak at gmail.com> wrote:
> To ensure, that you're only operating on your current branch you can
> add to your '~/.gitconfig':
>
> [push]
>    default = simple

Oh, useful.

> > (I seem to remember 'push -f' can be blocked on master,
> > but I don't know if it is in our repo.)

Herbert tells me that actually 'push -f' (aka "non-fast-forwards")
is forbidden in the GHC repo everywhere except wip/,
as part of a configuration that also restricts touching
named GHC version branches, handles mirroring, etc.
So it's harder to mess up a repo that in ye olde days,
though I'm sure one can still produce lots of colourful git art
(to be watched in the 'gitk' art viewer) by repeatedly merging
forward and backward two branches, without any rebasing.