RFC: Properly stated origin of code contributions

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 10:45:28 UTC 2014

Hi Austin,

On 2014-10-30 at 21:55:14 +0100, Austin Seipp wrote:
[...]
> Can we get a standardized copyright/comment header across all our
> files? It seems as if every single file in the compiler (and RTS) has
> different header text, mentioning different people or groups, some
> from 10 years ago or more and others just recently added. This is
> somewhat related to this RFC but also somewhat not, I feel.
[...]

Could you draft up a standard-header as a suggestion somewhere, maybe on
the Wiki?

The current situation is suboptimal, as it's unclear where the threshold
for adding yourself as an author to a module header is
(whitespace/indentation cleanups, fixing/writing docs, removing lines,
adding a 5-line function in a 500 line module, ...?), and it's a bit
unfair to those that have contributed far more to a module but haven't
bothered to add themselves to the module header. So I'd welcome a
standard approach.

Would there be a single AUTHORS file for the code in ghc.git, or
multiple ones (one for the compiler proper, one for base, ghc-prim,
template-haskell, integer-*, ...?)

Cheers,
  hvr