Does D351 Unwiring-Integer patch now look like you envisioned?

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 08:45:53 UTC 2014

Hello!

On 2014-10-24 at 10:08:00 +0200, Simon Peyton Jones wrote:
> I replied, but failed to press "Submit" (which is several screenfuls
> away). Sorry

Thanks!

(if you press the 'z'-key outside of any input-form on code-revision
pages, you get the screen horizontally tiled with the submit-form in the
bottom half - this is sometimes generally useful to have IMHO)

> The Maybe DataCon idea looks right to me.
>

> FWIW I *hate* the way that TidyPgm is forced to predict what CorePrep
> will do.  I've created https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/9718 to
> explain.

Btw, this reminds me I have a low-priority plan to improve the
`mkInteger` call interface, as the current one is terrible: it requires
splitting a large integer literal into 31-bit words (even when machine
wordsize is 64bit!), and then wrapping those into an ordinary
[Int]-list.

I'd rather like mkInteger to take an packed array of machine-size words,
similar to how [Char] literals are handled via `unpackCString#`, which
would allow for a more compact representation in object files as well as
possibly direct conversion of integer literals in GHC's Integer
backends... I've created a ticket to keep track of that idea:

  hvr