Avoiding the hazards of orphan instances without dependency problems

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 03:06:41 UTC 2014

As far as I can tell, all the ideas for "really" solving the problem are
either half-baked ideas, ideas requiring a complete re-conception of
Haskell (offering both ups and downs), or long term lines of research that
will probably get somewhere good some day, but not today. Yes, it would be
great to get a beautiful modular instance system into Haskell, but unless
I'm missing some development, that's not too likely to happen in a year or
three. That's why I think it would be nice to create a system that will
ease some of the pain without limiting further developments.