One-shot semantics in GHC event manager

Kazu Yamamoto (=?iso-2022-jp?B?GyRCOzNLXE9CSScbKEI=?=) kazu at iij.ad.jp
Wed Oct 22 05:10:46 UTC 2014

> Out of curiosity are these numbers from single runs or do you average?

Run three times and took the middle in this time.

> What are the uncertainties on these numbers? Even on the Rackspace
> machines I was finding very large variances in my benchmarks, largely
> due to far outliers. I didn't investigate too far but it seems that
> a non-trivial fraction of connections were failing.

If cores are in sleep mode, the results are poor. You need to warm
cores up somehow.

I forget how to disable the deep sleep mode by a command on Linux.
(Open a special file and write something?) I believe that Andi knows
that.

To my experience, 1G network is NOT good enough.

>> # And I was disappointed a bit because GHC does not automatically do
>> # this inline.
>>
> Yeah, this isn't the first time I've been caught assuming that GHC will
> inline.

I read your code and you export these functions. That's why GHC does
not inline them automatically.

--Kazu