One-shot semantics in GHC event manager

Ben Gamari bgamari.foss at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 04:05:27 UTC 2014

Kazu Yamamoto <kazu at iij.ad.jp> writes:

>> Ahh, yes. Sorry, I forgot you were on 7.8.  Just pushed a new patch to
>> the event-rework-squashed branch [1].
>
> I believe that you are trying to merge your patches to GHC 7.8.4?
> If not, I will work on the GHC head branch.

Well, Bas was wondering whether this would be possible. At this point
I'm a bit on the fence; on one hand it's not a crucial fix (we have a
workaround in usb) and it may involve changes to exported interfaces
(although not very high visibility). On the other hand, it's a pretty
easy change to make and it cleans up the semantics of the event manager
nicely.

Frankly I doubt that the performance characteristics of the patch
will change much between HEAD and ghc-7.8 (up to the difference that
you've already reported in your last set of benchmarks).

Cheers,

- Ben