Making GHCi awesomer?

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Sat Oct 18 17:05:49 UTC 2014

On 10/18/2014 04:48 PM, Christopher Done wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> So I’ve been working on Haskell user-facing tooling in general for
> some years. By that I mean the level of Emacs talking with Haskell
> tools.
>
> [snip]
>
> You’ve seen some of these features in GHC Mod, in hdevtools, in the FP
> Haskell
> Center, maybe some are in Yi, possibly also in Leksah (?).

Currently any Yi support for such things is either poor or not present.
We currently also just talk to the REPL and parse stuff out. The upside
is that it is possible for us to talk to any Haskell stuff natively
(including GHC API/ghc-mod) so we don't need to depend as much on GHCi
as emacs or other editors, at least in theory.

> [snip]
>
> Well, that’s everything. Thoughts?
>
> Ciao!

Sounds interesting. My only request/comment is that I hope whatever
conclusion you come to, the library part of it will be usable just as
much (or even more) as the executable: if we can talk to the library
natively then that's much easier than talking to some remote socket and
parsing out data.

--
Mateusz K.