One-shot semantics in GHC event manager

Ben Gamari bgamari.foss at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 15:14:56 UTC 2014

Austin Seipp <austin at well-typed.com> writes:

> The catch with such a change is that there is no macro to determine
> whether we're using 7.8.3 or 7.8.4, so it's harder for users to figure
> things out (they have to use `MIN_VERSION_base` from Cabal). But maybe
> that doesn'tm atter too much. So, yes, I think it's doable, but that's
> a sticky bit.

Hmm, that is slightly sticky. I'm not sure what Bas thinks but IMHO it's
not the end of the world if usb needs to disable event manager support
in the 7.8 series. Whatever happens I want to make sure this is very
well tested before it is merged. I'm still recovering from the shock of
this change being so painless. The reason here may be that I've only
tested against Linux. It would be good if someone with a Mac could run a
validation. Same with BSD.

On that note, are there plans to bring up a BSD test box for
harbormaster?

> Andreas - want me to go ahead and get you some hardware to test Ben's
> patch in the mean time? This way we'll at least not leave it hanging
> until the last moment...

Just so every is on the same page, I've taken and rebased the patch set
on master and opened D347 to track it.

Cheers,

- Ben