Merging a branch

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 08:32:47 UTC 2014

I think it's often useful to use git rebase -i for an interactive rebase,
sometimes I even run it multiple times in succession.  I usually start by
squashing any adjacent commits that should be logically grouped together
(one pass), then re-ordering and squashing again.  This isolates any
complicated edits that I had to perform in order to re-order patches.

As Edward points out you'll have to redo edits of merge conflicts, unless
you've enabled rerere: http://git-scm.com/blog/2010/03/08/rerere.html.  You
probably want to enable it.

John L.