One-shot semantics in GHC event manager

Ben Gamari bgamari.foss at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 19:05:42 UTC 2014

Ben Gamari <bgamari.foss at gmail.com> writes:

> Andreas Voellmy <andreas.voellmy at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Ben Gamari <bgamari.foss at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ah... so this is not useful to you. I guess we could add `loop` to
>> GHC.Event's export list. On the other hand, I like your LifeTime proposal
>> better and then no one needs `loop`, so let's try this first.
>>
> I have a first cut of this here [1]. It compiles but would be I shocked
> if it ran. All of the pieces are there but I need to change
> EventLifetime to a more efficient encoding (there's no reason why it
> needs to be more than an Int).

As it turns out the patch seems to get through the testsuite after a few
minor fixes.

What other tests can I subject this to? I'm afraid I don't have the
access to any machine even close to the size of those that the original
event manager was tested on so checking for performance regressions will
be difficult.

Cheers,

- Ben