GHC 7.8.4: call for tickets, show stoppers, and timelines - oh my!
austin at well-typed.com
Mon Oct 13 16:37:25 UTC 2014
After some discussion with Simon & Mikolaj today, I'd like to direct
you all at this:
This status page is the basic overview of what we plan on doing for
7.8.4. There are two basic components to this page:
- Show stopping bugs.
- Everything else, which is "nice to have".
Show stoppers are listed at the top of the page, in the first
paragraph. Right now, this includes:
- #9439 - LLVM mangling too vigorously.
- #8819 - Arithmetic failures for unregistered systems
- #8690 - SpecConstr blow-up
And that's all. But what's all the other stuff? That's "everything else".
Aside from these tickets listed here - and any future amendments to it
- all other tickets will only be considered nice-to-have. What does
- It's low risk to include.
- It clearly fixes the problem
- It doesn't take Austin significant amounts of time to merge.
For example, "Tickets marked merge with no milestone" are all
nice-to-have. Similarly, all the *closed tickets* on this page may be
re-opened and merged again, since most didn't make it to 7.8.4.
Ditto with the remaining categories.
OK, so that's the gist. Now I ask of you the following:
- If you have a show-stopping bug with GHC 7.8.3, **you really,
_positively_ need to file a bug, and get in contact with me ASAP**.
Otherwise you'll be waiting for 7.10 most likely.
- Again: if you have a show stopper, contact me. Very soon.
- If there are bugs you *think* are showstoppers, but we didn't
categorize them properly, let me know.
Anything we accept as a show-stopper will delay the release of 7.8.4.
Anything else can (and possibly will) be left behind. Luckily, almost
all of the show stoppers have patches. Only #8819 does not, but I have
asked Sergei to look into it for me if he has time today.
Finally, I would please ask that users/developers do not include their
own personal pet tickets under "show stoppers" without consulting me
first, at least. :) If it's just nice to have, you can still pester
me, of course, and I'll try to make it happen.
I would like to have 7.8.4 out and done with by mid November, before
we freeze the new STABLE branch for 7.10.1. That's not a hard
deadline; just a timeframe I'd like to hit.
Let me know if you have any questions or comments; thanks!
 A lot of the closed tickets on this page had an improper milestone
set, which is why they show up. You can mostly ignore them, I
Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant
Well-Typed LLP, http://www.well-typed.com/
More information about the ghc-devs