Tentative high-level plans for 7.10.1

George Colpitts george.colpitts at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 00:34:50 UTC 2014

I agree a section show stoppers is a good idea, in parallel would it make
sense to use the priority "highest" for tickets that we consider
showstoppers?

Austin did a great of explaining the difficulties of backporting fixes, my
reaction  is that we have to have higher quality releases so that ideally
we have 0 backports. Having a showstoppers section will help that but I
think we need to work harder at getting volunteers to write tests. For most
people that's not exciting but it is a good way to get started on helping
and would be an immense help in producing higher quality releases.

As Austin also pointed out things change rapidly, it's hard to keep up and
it's getting harder for people to get to the point where they feel they are
decent Haskell programmers. So in addition to testing it would be great if
we could get more people to document, i.e. write tutorials etc.

It is difficult to balance being a research language and being a viable
language for industrial use. FWIW, I personally feel that we side too much
on being a research language.