Again: Uniques in GHC

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Tue Oct 7 16:40:11 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 11:26 AM,  <p.k.f.holzenspies at utwente.nl> wrote:
> Wait, wait, wait! I wasn't talking about a parallel *runtime*. Nothing changes there. All I'm talking about is something that is a very old issue that never got added / solved / resolved. Somewhere on the commentary, or the mailing list, I seem to recall that the generation of Uniques was the bottleneck for the parallelisation of GHC *Itself*. It's about having a compiler using multiple threads and says nothing about programs coming out of it.

OK, cool. Just making sure. :)

> I'm all with you on embedded processors and that kind of stuff, but I don't see a pressing need to compile *on* them. Isn't all ARM-stuff assuming cross-compilation?

No, not all ARM builds assume cross compilation. In fact, if you want
a fully working GHC, cross compilation is impossible: you cannot cross
compile GHCi, meaning you can't use Template Haskell (as well as some
of the linker features, I believe). However, I don't think this change
impacts building GHC at all, since we get parallelism through 'make',
not through GHC itself (and on low-end systems, parallelism in the
build system is crucial and really necessary.)

So I assume your change would mean 'ghc -j' would not work for 32bit.
I still consider this a big limitation, one which is only due to an
implementation detail. But we need to confirm this will actually fix
any bottlenecks first though before getting to that point.