Again: Uniques in GHC

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Tue Oct 7 15:46:37 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 1:32 AM,  <p.k.f.holzenspies at utwente.nl> wrote:
> Yes, this approach to a parallel GHC would only work on 64-bit machines. The
> idea is, I guess, that we're not going to see a massive demand for parallel
> GHC running on multi-core 32-bit systems. In other words; 32-bit systems
> wouldn't get a parallel GHC.

Let me make sure I'm understanding this correctly: in this particular
proposed solution, the side effect would be that we no longer have a
capable 32bit runtime which supports multicore parallelism?

Sorry, but I'm afraid this approach is pretty much unacceptable IMO,
for precisely the reason outlined in your last sentence. 32bit systems
are surprisingly commen. I have several multicore 32bit ARMv7 machines
on my desk right now, for example. And there are a lot more of those
floating around than you might think.

If that's the 'cure', I think I (and other users) would consider it
far worse than the disease.

> Regards,
> Philip

Regards,