Tentative high-level plans for 7.10.1

p.k.f.holzenspies at utwente.nl p.k.f.holzenspies at utwente.nl
Mon Oct 6 09:03:19 UTC 2014

I don't know whether this has ever been considered as an idea, but what about having a notion of Long Term Support version (similar to how a lot of processor and operating systems vendors go about this).

The idea behind an LTS-GHC would be to continue bug-fixing on the LTS-version, even if newer major versions no longer get bug-fixing support. To some extent, there will be redundancies (bugs that have disappeared in newer versions because newer code does the same and more, still needing to be fixed on the LTS code base), but the upside would be a clear prioritisation between stability (LTS) and innovation (latest major release).

The current policy for feature *use* in the GHC code-base is that they're supported in (at least) three earlier major release versions. Should we go the LTS-route, the logical choice would be to demand the latest LTS-version. The danger, of course, is that people aren't very enthusiastic about bug-fixing older versions of a compiler, but for language/compiler-uptake, this might actually be a Better Way.

Thoughts?

Ph.