Performance regression on typechecking type families?

Dr. ERDI Gergo gergo at erdi.hu
Sat Nov 29 10:17:30 UTC 2014

Hi,

Prompted by this question:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26538595/more-efficient-type-level-computations-using-type-families
I wrote some code today using closed type families and datakinds. Also, as
a baseline, I typechecked the code using open type families from
the original question.

The two files are here:

https://gist.github.com/gergoerdi/727f028e4c1ed158ac9a
https://gist.github.com/gergoerdi/f96d1a9a58f5e3dccc18

On GHC 7.8.3, typechecking took about 45 seconds for each. However, on a
'perf' build of GHC 7.9 d8c437b3, with ghc-stage2, the first one took 1m3s
and the second one 1m12s. A 40% and 60% increase in typechecking time,
respectively!

Is this some known regression, something surprising, or is 'perf' simply
not the right build flavour for this kind of comparison?

Bye,
 	Gergo