superfluous ghc --make log?

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 18:01:34 UTC 2014

On 2014-11-27 at 18:32:47 +0100, Tuncer Ayaz wrote:
> This is a very minor "issue", but I've been wondering if there's
> a rationale behind ghc --make pretty much printing the same thing
> thrice.

IMO it isn't the "same" thing that's printed thrice. If you
e.g. compile `transformers`, you'd get the following output:

Preprocessing library transformers-0.4.2.0...
[ 1 of 28] Compiling Data.Functor.Identity ( oldsrc/Data/Functor/Identity.hs, dist/build/Data/Functor/Identity.o )
[ 2 of 28] Compiling Control.Monad.Trans.Class ( Control/Monad/Trans/Class.hs, dist/build/Control/Monad/Trans/Class.o )
[ 3 of 28] Compiling Control.Monad.Signatures ( Control/Monad/Signatures.hs, dist/build/Control/Monad/Signatures.o )

there you'd see the two pathnames are not necessarily directly derivable
from the module name, but depend on additional flags given to `ghc`...

So it does indeed provide additional information about what GHC is
doing. Btw, this also tells you whether a .hs file or a .lhs file was
picked up.

As to whether it's too noisy for the default verbosity level, I have no
opinion (yet)...

Cheers,
  hvr