help wrt semantics / primops for pure prefetches

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 09:36:41 UTC 2014

I haven't been watching this, but I have one question: does prefetching
actually *work*?  Do you have benchmarks (or better still, actual
library/application code) that show some improvement?  I admit to being
slightly sceptical - when I've tried using prefetching in the GC it has
always been a struggle to get something that shows an improvement, and
even when I get things tuned on one machine it typically makes things
slower on a different processor.  And that's in the GC, doing it at the
Haskell level should be even harder.