Back-porting pattern synonym type signature syntax for GHC 7.8.4 [Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.8.4 Release Candidate 1]

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Nov 26 09:49:34 UTC 2014

Harump.

a) We do not generally make user-visible changes in a patch-level
   release, so we would not normally do this in 7.8.2, let alone 7.8.4

b) The 7.8.4 release candidate is out already

c) It would take a little care to back-port the syntax changes to 7.8
   without pattern signature (which we definitely don't want).  And
   there would be a knock on effect in Haddock perhaps?

d) BUT pattern synonyms are a brand new feature in 7.8
   and minimising differences between 7.8 and 7.10 would be good.

My instinct is that (a)-(c) overwhelm (d); i.e. let sleeping dogs lie.  But what do others think?

Simon