OS X breakage: make -j and 4 unexpected failures

Merijn Verstraaten merijn at inconsistent.nl
Sun Nov 23 05:50:21 UTC 2014

Carter was having difficulty compiling on OS X 10.9 with Xcode 6.0, so I tried building head and ran into some issues.

1) I used to build using make -j, but this fails with cryptic errors now. ./validate (which uses -j) and "make" seem to work. The specific error (appearing somewhere during stage 2 build) is:

Couldn't figure out C compiler information!
Warning:             Make sure you're using GNU gcc, or clang

Furthermore, when trying to run ./validate --fast I run into 4 unexpected failures. If anyone can tell me how I can get the test suite to report the exact difference in output I will send those along.

Unexpected results from:
TEST="cabal01 T5435_dyn_asm subsections_via_symbols cabal06 T4801"

OVERALL SUMMARY for test run started at Sat Nov 22 21:35:31 2014 PST
 0:07:30 spent to go through
    4230 total tests, which gave rise to
   13843 test cases, of which
    9956 were skipped

      53 had missing libraries
    3763 expected passes
      66 expected failures

       0 caused framework failures
       0 unexpected passes
       4 unexpected failures
       1 unexpected stat failures

Unexpected failures:
   cabal/cabal01                            cabal01 [bad exit code] (normal)
   cabal/cabal06                            cabal06 [bad stdout] (normal)
   llvm/should_run/subsections_via_symbols  subsections_via_symbols [bad exit code] (normal)
   rts                                      T5435_dyn_asm [bad stdout] (normal)

Unexpected stat failures:
   perf/compiler  T4801 [stat too good] (normal)

Cheers,
Merijn