Typechecker plugins: request for review and another workflow question

Adam Gundry adam at well-typed.com
Mon Nov 17 17:58:19 UTC 2014

I think we're converging on a reasonable story about the way to call
plugins for givens and for wanteds; it's a shame they don't quite match
up, but I think that is probably unavoidable and relatively harmless.

On 17/11/14 17:11, Eric Seidel wrote:
> Ah, good catch on both accounts, thanks!
>
> Re "solving" givens: although the interface requires the plugins to
> provide an evidence term, the end result would be that the given is
> discarded entirely, correct? If so, we should probably caution plugin
> authors not to solve any givens they can't easily re-derive later, but
> perhaps this is obvious.. Apart from that concern, it seems reasonable,
> and could potentially reduce the amount of work GHC has to do.

Yes, that's right, it makes sense to discard a given only if it can be
re-derived (and hence is providing no new information). This happens in
the vanilla constraint solver, for example reflexive given equations are
discarded. When reporting errors, it's nice to omit obviously boring
constraints!

> Ping me if you want to offload any work, I'm also very keen to get this
> landed before the 7.10 branch!

I'd be very grateful if you could try out my latest commit to
wip/tc-plugins-amg and tell me if it makes sense or if I'm doing
something silly. The code could do with a bit of tidying up, including
cleaning up the diff to master, which I'll try to get done tomorrow,
unless you want to jump in first. ;-)

Cheers,

Adam

--