Typechecker plugins: request for review and another workflow question

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 18:50:27 UTC 2014

Hi,

depending on what the plugin does, it is not too hard to get into a loop.
For example, the plugin could keep generating things like:  x > 5, x + 1 >
5, x + 2 > 5, x + 3 > 5.   Of course, this is not a good plan, but one has
to be careful to avoid doing it accidentally.   I think that a good general
guideline for plugin behavior is like this:

   - Avoid generating new variables
   - Only generate constrains of the form: `x = y` or `x = K`: these always
make things more defined and could help another solver to make progress
   - These two ensure that eventually you will run out of new things to
generate.
   - It is occasionally useful to also generate more complex equations:
 (e.g. x = y + 1), but then one needs to be careful to ensure progress.

Despite this, I also don't think that plugins need to be told how many
times they've been called: it seems hard for a plugin author to know what
to do with this number.  Besides, a buggy plugin could also get stuck in
loops in other ways (e.g., get stuck in some internal loop, without going
back to GHC).

-Iavor