Travis validation on a GHC fork?

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Wed Nov 12 18:24:55 UTC 2014

Hi Joachim,

I just tried to use Travis for validation on my fork of GHC, to avoid sending out emails associated with a wip/... commit. But, Travis couldn't find the submodules. Here's the tail of my log:

> Submodule 'libraries/vector' (git://github.com/goldfirere/packages/vector.git) registered for path 'libraries/vector'
> Submodule 'libraries/xhtml' (git://github.com/goldfirere/packages/xhtml.git) registered for path 'libraries/xhtml'
> Submodule 'nofib' (git://github.com/goldfirere/nofib.git) registered for path 'nofib'
> Submodule 'utils/haddock' (git://github.com/goldfirere/haddock.git) registered for path 'utils/haddock'
> Submodule 'utils/hsc2hs' (git://github.com/goldfirere/hsc2hs.git) registered for path 'utils/hsc2hs'
> Cloning into 'libffi-tarballs'...
> fatal: remote error:
>   Repository not found.
> Clone of 'git://github.com/goldfirere/libffi-tarballs.git' into submodule path 'libffi-tarballs' failed
> The command "git submodule update --init --recursive" failed and exited with 1 during .
> Your build has been stopped.

I could probably figure out the right commands to fix this, but then my local .travis.yml would be different than the proper one, and that can cause various headaches down the road.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Richard