Concrete syntax for pattern synonym type signatures

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Nov 10 21:07:56 UTC 2014

Note though, it doesn't mean the same thing to say (Foo a, Bar a b) => ... as it does to say
Foo a => Bar a b => ...
The latter can use Foo a when working on Bar a b, but not Bar a b to discharge Foo a, which makes a difference when you have functional dependencies.

I disagree.  Can you offer a concrete example, and show that one typechecks when the other does not?

Simon