Can't install packages with my inplace compiler

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Nov 5 09:50:26 UTC 2014

|  Actually I'd suggest you use the Cabal and cabal-install that are part
|  of the ghc source tree, rather than Cabal/cabal-install HEAD. The two
|  are not always the same.

Aha ok, thank you.  How exactly do I do that?  Where is the executable cabal-install in the tree?  IN inplace/bin I see an executable ghc-cabal. Is that it?

Alternatively, "Plan B" on https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Debugging/InstallingPackagesInplace
(which I confess I'd forgotten about) describes a different plan that doesn't mention cabal-install at all.  Is that better?

Thanks

Simon