Can't install packages with my inplace compiler

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Nov 4 11:59:57 UTC 2014

It says

simonpj at cam-05-unx:~/tmp/singletons-1.0$ cabal --version
cabal-install version 1.21.0.0
using version 1.21.0.0 of the Cabal library

Oddly if I try "cabal update; cabal install cabal-install" it says:
	Resolving dependencies...
	Downloading Cabal-1.20.0.2...

so it looks as if it's about to install an *older* version than the one I have already!

What now?

Thanks

SImon