Proposal: Improving the LLVM backend by packaging it

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sat Nov 1 16:12:21 UTC 2014

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 01.11.2014, 11:05 -0500 schrieb Austin Seipp:
> > Do you envision that LLVM always be built alongside GHC when bringing up a new working tree?
>
> No - on Tier 1 platforms, I suggest we always provide binary packages
> for developers to grab. Those same binaries would be shipped with the
> actual binary distributions we create.
>
> On Tier 2 platforms, people may have to compile things, but we can
> provide some guidelines (and perhaps utilities/scripts) to help manage
> this.

for the Distributions it would be most easy if the custom llvm would
come within the source tarball, would be built by the regular build
process and installed along with GHC, in a private path
(/usr/lib/ghc/somewhere). We certainly don’t want to have a separate
packaging with separate binary packages "llvm-ghc" around.

How long does building those two llvm binaries take? If it is
sufficiently quick, maybe that would be a suitable distribution for
developers as well, and avoids having to separately build, distribute,
download, and install the binaries.

Greetings,
Joachim

--