GHC 7.8.3 release

Alain O'Dea alain.odea at gmail.com
Sat May 31 20:54:26 UTC 2014

On 05/31/2014 12:28 PM, George Colpitts wrote:
> +1
>
> Stability is very important.
>
> Also, do we have an ETA for when we will have an improved
> infrastructure for automated builds and the associated tests. I
> think this would help a lot with stability and  shorten the time to
> the next release.
>

> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 6:46 PM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com
> <mailto:marlowsd at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> On 27/05/14 09:06, Austin Seipp wrote:
>
> PPS: This might also impact the 7.10 schedule, but last Simon and
> I talked, we thought perhaps shooting for ICFP this time (and
> actually hitting it) was a good plan. So I'd estimate on that a
> 7.8.4 might happen a few months from now, after summer.
>

> FWIW, I think doing 7.10 in October is way too soon.  Major
> releases create a large distributed effort for package maintainers
> and users, and there are other knock-on effects, so we shouldn't do
> them too often.  A lot of our users want stability, while many of
> them also want progress, and 12 months between major releases is
> the compromise we settled on.
>
> The last major release slipped for various reasons, but I don't
> believe that means we should try to get back on track by having a
> short time between 7.8 and 7.10.  7.8 will be out of maintenance
> when it has only just made it into a platform release.
>
> Anyway, that's my opinion.  Of course if everyone says they don't
> mind a 7.10 in October then I withdraw my objection :-)
>
> (as a data point, upgrading to 7.8 at work cost me three weeks,
> but we're probably a special case)
>
> Cheers, Simon

Hi George:

There are continuous builds of GHC HEAD on several platforms and
architectures:
http://haskell.inf.elte.hu/builders/

There are still some bugs to work out there for sure (particularly
mine on SmartOS), but a lot of progress has been made.

The most critical gap is the lack of Windows and OS X builders since
they are Tier 1 platforms for GHC.

If you have Windows or OS X machines available please consider
offering a builder:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Builder

Best,
Alain