Parallelizing the Weak Pointer Lock

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Wed May 28 11:16:52 UTC 2014

How hard *would* it be to replace the global weak pointer lock with
something that scales better?

I'm looking at switching some of my older BDD code into Haskell.

To do so I'd love to be able to use an "intuitive" weak-pointer based cache
management scheme, but I have to confess the notion of a global lock
getting in the way basically damns whatever solution I come up with to be a
single-threaded toy. =/

If I'm trying to sell Haskell's parallelism to others, it seems my only
winning moves right now are:

1.) play less satisfying games with typed regions, which scale less well
than the tried and tested solutions of GCing hash-consed BDD structures.

2.) just tackle the problem that allocating a weak pointer grabs a global
lock.

3.) not to play the game

-Edward