GHC 7.8.3 release

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Tue May 27 11:29:26 UTC 2014

On 2014-05-27 at 12:47:53 +0200, Yitzchak Gale wrote:
> Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
>> What kind of version tweaks are you thinking about? (Afaics, the GHC
>> bundled libraries don't have any version bumps.)
>
> Well for one thing, wouldn't the version of base be bumped?

There's not been any change yet to base in the ghc-7.8 branch since the
7.8.2 release:

  http://git.haskell.org/packages/base.git/shortlog/refs/heads/ghc-7.8

as you can see from

  https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Commentary/Libraries/VersionHistory

it's happened in the past already, that 'base' was not bumped for every
(minor) GHC release. It's rather the exception when `base` version
bumps are performed for minor GHC releases.

> If the bugs fixed in 7.8.3 affect any packages in the platform,
> we would want to make whatever changes are needed to make sure
> that the fixes work for them - at least bumping base.

While I appreciate there may be packages affected by GHC 7.8.2/7.8.3
changes, I still fail to see how artificially bumping base would help
here.