Fwd: Question about Roles and the AMP work

Benno Fünfstück benno.fuenfstueck+ghc at gmail.com
Mon May 12 17:46:47 UTC 2014

I'm not familar with the internals of GHC, but maybe it would be possible
for GHC to just use the default definition for `join` in the case that
deriving fails because of roles? At least if the class to be derived has a
`MINIMAL` pragma, GHC could check if that is still satisfied even without
the method that failed to derive, and use the default definition if that's
the case.

As a straw man, if we went to a typeclass-driven 'next arg is