Adding atomic primops

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Mon May 12 13:18:50 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm not sure how to continue from here. The current backend story feels a
bit shaky. Do we think we accurately need to reflect the memory model in
Cmm before we should venture into this area at all, or are we comfortable
relying on the current implementation of CallishMachOps with the knowledge
that if we ever want to move loads/stores past those calls, we need to
address the memory model issue then?

I'm less concerned about actually picking a memory model. I think we should
borrow what C/C++ did and just pick a couple (maybe even just 2) of the
consistency levels on their "ladder" and support those. We can always add
more relaxed ordering guarantees later.