GHC status report

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Fri May 2 13:47:39 UTC 2014

On 02/05/2014 14:28, Edward Kmett wrote:
> Perhaps. We actually tried that originally, but had issues about
> where and how to get cabal to place it. We'd need it to go somewhere
> installed rather than the local build dir lest it not be there when
> we go to use the lib, but IIRC, cabal couldn't/wouldn't tell me where
> it was putting the final installed version and then there is the
> issue of the local in place runs vs. post cabal install runs and
> referencing that dir from subsequent projects. If we want a
> transparent ’cabal install rounded` It isn't clear to me how to get
> there down this path, but it is entirely possible I just missed
> something obvious.
>
> MPFR/rounded was just an off the cuff example. Another place where
> the dynamic linker really helps is external c++ libraries which
> should now actually get all of their initializers called in the right
> order when launched from ghci.

External C++ libraries work just fine with the statically linked GHCi -
it uses the system linker to load them, and all the initalizers get
called, in the right order, as they should.  So this is where I'm
confused about what the problems actually are - there seems to be this
perception that GHCi didn't work with external C++ code, but as far as I
know it works just fine (indeed we're doing it a lot at Facebook, so
there's at least an existence proof that depending on a non-trivial
amount of external C++ with a statically-linked GHCi can work).