GHC status report

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Thu May 1 23:37:05 UTC 2014

 another example of a library that becomes usable in ghci with 7.8 is
llvm-general.
Namely, with ghc 7.8, when llvm-general is built so it dynamically links to
the system's LLVM library, I can run / invoke LLVM operations in GHCi.

I believe that this is due to the same reason many other libraries wouldn't
work in ghci historically, namely the GHC static linker can't handle
linking to the various  C++ things (i forget the names of the linkage
notions come up when loading C++, whatever those are)

hackage.haskell.org/package/llvm-general

mind you this is only when the sharedllvm flag is switched on.

This of course has the down side that an llvm-general install thats
suitable for interactive experimentation is not an llvm-beneral install
thats suitable for distributing static linked binaries.