GHC status report

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu May 1 21:27:00 UTC 2014

On 01/05/14 14:48, Dominick Samperi wrote:
> The problem with some graphics libraries used via FFI (and other libraries
> that are not thread-safe), if I understand the situation correctly, is that ghci
> forks a thread when it shouldn't, causing some programs to miscalculate
> the available stack space (because they think there is only one thread).
 >
> The new dynamic linking support and the flag -fno-ghci-sandbox fixes
> this problem, and I would not vote for the removal of these features.

So I understand how -fno-ghci-sandbox avoids problems with GUI libraries
that use thread-local state.  But how is dynamic linking involved here?
  What improved in GHC 7.8 relative to 7.6 for you? And could you
clarify "miscalculate the available stack space"? What needs to
calculate stack space? Why? C stack space?

We can certainly make a smoother experience around -fno-ghci-sandbox for
using GUI libraries.

> It is not clear to me from Simon's original post how linking to all of
> those C++ libs can continue to work if dynamic linking is removed
> in 7.10? Perhaps I misunderstand what you mean by "revert to
> static linking"?

When I say "revert to static linking" I mean make GHCi static linked,
and have it load Haskell code compiled for static linking using the RTS
linker (like it did in 7.6).  Foreign libraries would still be loaded
using the system linker, as they always have been.

To be clear, I'm not officially proposing that we drop dynamic linking,
but I think it's worthwhile exploring the design space again, given that
we know dynamic linking has been tougher than we expected.