GHC status report

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu May 1 10:09:32 UTC 2014

On 01/05/2014 02:26, George Colpitts wrote:
> To elaborate, in the past, I had a lot of problems using libraries from
> the ghci prompt on the Mac but I haven't tried recently.
>
> As an example, on the web page
> <http://www.cs.yale.edu/homes/hudak/SOE/software1.htm> for the book the
> Haskell School of Expression it says:
>
>     Note for OS X users: running graphics applications from GHCi is no
>     longer supported. Instead, one has to compile a graphics program
>     using GHC in order to run it (see example/GMIExamples.lhs for an
>     example).
>
> I had similar problems using the Yale Euterpea music program from ghci.
> When I inquired I was referred to
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/4244 and
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/781. I see that the latter is
> now scheduled for 7.10.1

I think we just punted on all the problems and assumed that dynamic
linking would fix everything.  What we've found is that dynamic linking
causes a whole new set of problems and complexities.  Meanwhile, many of
the original problems have been fixed (except #781, which is kind of
unfixable, but fortunately is also quite rare).

Unfortunately dynamic linking is needed to support GHCi and TH on
unregisterised platforms.  In 7.8, GHCi and TH now works on some
platforms where it didn't before (albeit not very widely used platforms).