We need to add role annotations for 7.8

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Fri Mar 28 19:56:21 UTC 2014

I think a few clarifications might help:

- Roles, as originally conceived, were not an attempt to make Unsafe code Safe. Instead, they make unsafe things safe. Before roles, it was quite possible to write Haskell code that would cause a seg fault at runtime. Now, this is (short of unsafeCoerce & friends) impossible, as far as we know. This is independent of any concern with Safe Haskell. That is why certain code that used to work with GND can no longer do so, and why there is no easy fix -- the old code is unsafe, not just Unsafe.

- Role annotations are never necessary to ensure type safety. To reiterate: all Haskell code, with or without type annotations, is now safe from the interaction between GND and TypeFamilies.

- The whole debate here is about *abstraction* -- whether or not a user outside of a library can fiddle with that library's expected invariants.

- Edward and Mark have said that with a default of a nominal role "Nothing easy could just be easy." Yet, we accept the need for deriving Eq and Show without question. I think, if we ignore its current alienness, a role annotation is on a similar order -- a role annotation (in a world with a nominal default) would be granting new capabilities to users of a type, just like adding instances of classes.

- If you could use GND only where the constructors are available, then some valid current use of GND would break, I believe. It would mean that GND would be unable to coerce a (Map String Int) to a (Map String Age), because the constructor of Set is (rightly) not exported. This would have a direct runtime significance for some users -- their code would run slower.

Richard