7.8.1 plan

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Mon Mar 24 21:36:10 UTC 2014

Hello all,

As I'm sure you're all aware, it's the final countdown. The (final)
source distribution will be up within a few hours, and then we'll
continue on from there. Yay! I will post an update when that is, so
Gabor/Luke/Karel can make binaries from the sources as I do so.

Second, there are just two things I want to note:

  - For people following the Windows debacle in #8834, there has been
a bug fixed, but one may still remain. The TL;DR of this is that we
currently have a committed workaround in place we'll keep using, but
Simon has made some good steps towards finding the bug.

  - Lots of people, I'm sure, are wondering what's going on with Safe
Haskell and the GND story. The TL;DR of this one is that "everything
will be the same as in 7.6" - GND is considered an Unsafe feature, and
Data.Coerce is behind Unsafe bars. From a safety point of view,
nothing should change for library authors I cherry picked these
changes into 7.8 last night.

In the mean time, the 7.8 branch is effectively closed. If you have
something to commit, and I *really* mean something, you can let me
know. But your deadline is hours, not days! I'm doing a final review
of all the trees before pushing the library tags, and after that I'll
begin rolling the sdist.

Anyway, the time is finally here, so let's get it over with!

--
Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant