[commit: ghc] master: Convert haddock into a proper submodule (re #8545) (34b0721)

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 21:03:04 UTC 2014

On 2014-03-23 at 19:53:55 +0100, Simon Peyton Jones wrote:
> Do us naïve users need to change our workflow with these submodule
> changes?

Probably yes... to some extent at least; that's why only haddock.git has
been converted for now[1]: to find out empirically what's involved
before continuing with the submodule-conversion.

I've tried to describe one possible workflow (for if you need to publish
a modification to haddock.git) at

  https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/WorkingConventions/Git/Submodules#MakingchangestoGHCsubmodules

I hope it makes a bit of sense :-)

IMO, it's quite useful to familiarize oneself with the 'git submodule'
family of commands, and especially 'git submodule' and 'git submodule
summary', as those two introspection commands allow one to get a better
picture in which state the currently cloned GHC working tree's
submodules are.

 [1]: OTOH, haddock.git is not the first/only proper Git submodule we
      have so far; so, in some way this isn't much of a change...